Fair World of Bangladesh (FWB) Got Registration from the following government. Departments for the legalization of its Development Activities :
Department of Social Services Under Ministry of Social Welfare Govt. of the Peoples Republic of Bangladesh
NGO Affairs Bureau Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Govt. of the Peoples Republic of Bangladesh.
Micro Credit Regulatory Authority (MRA), Bangladesh Bank
- Background of the Organization :
Fair World of Bangladesh is a Non-Governmental, Non-Political, Non-Profit and People Welfare Oriented Social Development Organization in the North East Corner of Bangladesh. Natural Beautification Hostile Weather, Adversity Resistance and so on November 15, 1999 the opening of the Fair World of Bangladesh in Netrakona, Durgapur in the Midst of time. The Demand is now divided into divisional city Mymensingh. The Principal of the Fair World of Bangladesh Chef Executive (Chairman) Md. Abdus Salam Sikder expanded the Development of Eco-Social Development Programs with skilled manpower structure.
Since it’s inception FWB has been operating various demand based integrated rural development programs. Through participatory approach for the upliftment of the socio-economic and health status of the Targeted families it has been applying participatory approach for the effective participation of the community people from the very beginning of the Organization in FWB evolution process it has experimented various approaches and undertaken some action oriented research to identify the right direction of it’s programming activities with the active participation of rural & urban under privileged people as it’s program partners. At present FWB has been operating it’s Activities in 6 upazilla of 3 districts of Bangladesh.
- Location/Area of Operation :
Location/Area of Operation is all over Bangladesh Wherever deemed necessary, However, priority will be given in Mymensingh Division.
- Management Structure :
Fair World of Bangladesh has 3 Levels of Management structures.
First: General body consists of 30 Members
Second : Executive board consists of 11 Members
Third : Advisory board consists of 5 Members
Following Table shows present position at executive committee :
Name of Post
No of Post
- Goal : To eliminate poverty, take steps to prevent poverty and create amazing world by ensuring fairness and equality in all aspects.
- Objectives :
- To assist powerless people to establish social justice and human rights.
- To motivate for progressive modern and developed social culture avoiding superstitious and passive socio economic thinking.
- To assist men and women for self employment by giving skill development training, income generation activities, human resources development and creating an environment to explore their inborn talents.
- To assist people to achieve UN SDGs for the greater benefit of the mankind.
- To support government’s development programs and play active role to co-operate with government other planned activities.
- To rehabilitate seasonal unemployment of vulnerable, abandoned. Handicapped persons and create alternative employment opportunities.
To concretize on environment pollution disaster management & mitigation, food security and other necessary social development activities
The General Criteria for selecting the target people :
- Families having no land or owing less than half acre of land.
- Widows with no earning sources.
- Divorced/Separated women.
- School going children unable to have educational facilities due to less earning by their parents.
- Physical disabilities of the main earring persons of poor families.
- Poor families having no seed money for income generation activities.
- Poor working community or individuals who have the capacity to develop enter preneurship skill.
- The ethnic minority groups and
- Gender Equality.
The General Criteria for selection of project areas :
- Disaster areas due to recurrences of calamities like cyclone, tidal wave flood and river erosion causing widespread devastation and miseries FWB’s slogan is creation from devastation.
- Slam areas.
- Comparatively back wards areas in communication literacy and economic activities.
- Ethnic minority areas.
- Manpower/Staffing Position : FWB possesses qualified experienced, trained up and efficient staff, present staff strength of FWB is 27 Where 59% are female. All the staff are academically qualified well skilled to run ant development activity independently.
- Awareness buildup/growing consciousness & group formation: Economic, Religion and Human Development may be achieved with the discussion and participation of the local people. It also believes that after motivation individuals will make group. So the organization has been organizing small groups with people from women & child trafficking the deprived, neglected, landless, marginal farmers, divorced widow and abandoned and destitute women. It has been motivation and conscious raising these people to develop their Socio-economic condition. It believes that greater changes of the Society may be possible through joint actions and efforts.
- Training support for skill & human development: Training plays an important role in Socio-economic development area. Because the workers and the beneficiaries should be trained enough to implement different development activities. So training program is most essential for an organization. The targeted people are made conscious through the staff. Every human has some hidden qualities and knowledge but due to sum circumstances he could not revel these knowledge and qualities. So through training, this hidden knowledge can be revealed. A worker can do that work in organized ways and promptly. We think, training is a learning
process in development and this learning is essentials for every one. Considering these, it arranges different training of the beneficiaries and staff members. FWB mobilized it’s target beneficiaries to form equity among them by giving some skill development trainings. After the completion of the course, participants were seen very willing about sharing the learning among them.
- Rural and Urban Micro-credit Programmed: Micro Credit is one of important programs for FWB to enable group members self-reliant. It has micro-credit program since it’s inception, as it believes that the economic development is the precondition of sustainable development of any community. The organization provides skill development and basic accounting training for handling the business capital before disbursing loan. Along with other development initiative, members utilize the borrowed money for income generation and consequently to become self-reliant.
FWB insisted the general group members to have a savings activity group wise in very week, which amounts tk. 20 per person and they can utilize this as a revolving loan fund. But it was not enough to start a small business. As per their interest they demanded loan from the organization as credit fund to start their business. So the organization decided to distribute the principal money along with their savings fund as loan, which will be recovered in 45 installments with 12.5% service charge per year. The service charge is the administrative expense of the activity. This revolving loan fund was named as the Rural Micro Credit (RMC) program. This RMC program is financed by own fund and from the members savings fund.
- Education Program to Remove Illiteracy: Education is the backbone of a nation. But in the rural side the condition of women education is below standard. To improve the condition FWB works with illiterate children of the working area. Education sector in one of the most important and on going programs of FWB because nothing is alternative of education and education is the backbone of a nation. The education rate
of rural areas is much more than the city areas. It works in the remotest areas and most of the guardians are poor and marginal farmers. Due to poverty parents could not provide necessary clothes, proper diet and school fees to their children so children can’t go to schools regularly. For the upliftment of govt. primary education, eradication of illiteracy and increase the literacy rate within the working area, the organization designed it’s education sector aiming.
- Health Program : The organization has a health program under which it is providing health support to it’s beneficiaries. MBBS doctor, Paramedics, Medical Assistant have been providing health services to it’s beneficiaries of the working areas. FWB has started integrated health program within the target families :
- Water & Sanitation Project : To ensue use of safe water and sanitary latrine among the rural poor community FWB have taken Utahan Boikha, School Program on Water & Sanitation, Training on Sanitation, Slab ring distribution the following activities FWB has been implementing an innovative approach to promote people led total sanitation in the development areas with technical and financial support for drinking water supply and sanitation. The organization believes that many of the health related problems could be mitigated if people get access to safe drinking water and proper sanitation. At present, although government trying to establish health care facilities in the rural communities but inadequate facilities and lack of awareness on personal hygiene often affect the rural poor specially women and children to spread out diseases. Personal and environmental cleanliness, hygienic sanitation and safe drinking water help to get a way-out of the situation.
FWB believes in people’s participation in the planning process of a new intervention and sensitizes them in implementation and monitoring as it ensures the ownership and provides assurance of success of the intervention. Community led total
sanitation is such an intervention where community people take the entire activities to make the program a success. As a part of the action plan FWB provides support in hardware and software i.e tube-wells and sanitary and offset pit latrines install and follow hygienic behavior.
- Agricultural Development : The life style and status of poor, landless and marginal families within the working area of FWB heavily dependent on the agricultural livelihood. Because, they all belong to the farmers family. Their food, education, health and living status are subjected to the earning for the agriculture. So improvement of life status of target families is mostly related to the development of the agriculture. Because the whole cultivation process is ancient and production rate is very low. The areas of agriculture like fisheries, poultry and live stock farming are also in a poor condition. As a result the nutrition status and economic condition of this agriculture dependent population is getting worse day by day.
- Law Cost Housing Program: Homeless people are the real rootless and powerless segment in the society, which obstruct them to access any facilities available around them. A livable house is an asset that gave them social prestige and empowers to practice some social benefits. In woman headed families a good house also gives them shelter and social dignity. In this consideration, most of the members, who either have thatched house or no house, constantly
requested FWB to create an opportunity for housing long-term in a long-them basis so that they can repay their loan in installment from their income. Everybody dreams to have a good and strong house, which can give them safety from natural calamities and maintain hygiene. FWB believes that if they have a strong house they can participate in the development activities with more confidence. Their social status would be increased and children would have better facility to study at home.
- Handicrafts/Producers Development: Today in the society the poor women-folk are very neglected to the male-folk. Socially the poor women have home-based life where they work only in their house but not outside. But FWB observed that they have enough scope to earn if they are involved in various income generating activities inside and outside the house. Employment creation in the rural areas is much difficult. Lake of unemployed youths are trying their best for employment but their is no employee opportunity. So it is very difficult to arrange employment in the rural areas for the illiterate and disadvantaged women folk. For these women the organization has undertaken micro-credit program by which they can undertake small income generating activities for their self-employment and family income development. For the women group members it has undertaken micro-credit program by which they can undertake handicrafts activities for their self-employment and family income development.
- Human Rights Preservation : FWB believes that human rights deal with human necessity for “expression”, “creativity” and conviviality for deciding own density. it looks critically into the socio-economic, political and cultural system, which directly or indirectly influence the life of the suffering humility. FWB human rights preservation concept strongly considers that poverty and disadvantages stem from the unequal socio-economic and political power. It is rather an unequal participation in making decisions where determines the direction of the society.
- Disabled Development : As per county survey about 10% of the general community of our country is disabled. Mostly the children and women disable-folk are helpless, avoided and neglected by their family members and society. FWB observed that this is very dangerous and unfair from the human rights point of view. So the organization always gives priority for the development of the disables.
- Public culture & Theatre Program: FWB working in the remotest and under developed areas of Bangladesh. Majority of the community people are unaware on health, hygiene and basic human rights. As result they are victimizing by the local powered structured. So FWB developed cultural team to make awareness buildup in the society. Folklore, patho natok and Jari Gan are organizing regular basis by the team.
- Disaster Management : In earth year there are several incidences of violence disaster such as flood, cyclone and draught are happening in our working area. Due to lack of precaution knowledge thousands of lives, millions of crops and assets destroyed. So FWB included Disaster Management sector with it’s development activities. The goal of this sector is to aware the mass population regarding the precautions what to be taken before or after disaster. The main activities of FWB disaster mitigation are to development volunteers and to train the community people to increase their disaster management capacity.
- Sapling Distribution/Tree Plantation : For maintaining ecological balance and source of supplementary income, group members are provided saplings of timber; fuel and fruit trees for undertaking home based a forestation. Before sapling distribution, short orientation training about plantation, caring and nursing are provided to the group members. Program staffs are responsible for supervision, follow-up and monitoring.
- Various Day Observation : For the mass awareness rising on the development issues and to explore the democratic and human rights we will observe various National & International days with our group members.
- Target People Selection Criteria and Project Area Selection : FWB has been working with the most vulnerable people who are being deprived of and bypassed by many opportunities and consequently can not acquire baste living facilities are unable to attain their choices and established their rights in the sociality. On the other hand they are abhorred as the burden of the society most of the time FWB has clearly identified the specific needs of these people by selecting them according to it’s vision.
Following table shows the present staff position of the organization
No of Employee
It is possible to implement the project in any Union, Upazila & District Towns of Bangladesh in very short time through contractual list of pending man power structures.
Community Development Worker
Md. Abdus Salam Shikder,
Ex. Lecturer in economics & Editor weekly Zibon Pata
Fair World of Bangladesh.
Fair World of Bangladesh,
37 Ananda Mohan Avenue (Boro Bazar), P/O:Box # 01, Mymensingh-2200, Bangladesh. Tel: 091.-65005, Mobile: 01552-434690, Fax: +88091-62473 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org